WE DO MITOCHONDRIAL DNA ANALYSIS
- Mitochondrial DNA analysis is an excellent tool for exclusionary purposes.
- Mitochondrial DNA adds strength to a case for inclusions or matches.
- Mitochondrial DNA testing is the next best tool when nuclear DNA testing is not viable.
- Mitochondrial DNA can be used when ‘not enough’ nuclear DNA is present for testing.
- Human remains can be compared to a living maternal relative for identification.
- We have successfuly obtained Mitochondrial DNA from buccal swabs, blood, tissue, skin, cigarette butts, articles of clothing, masks, bandages, hair shafts with or without a root attached, bones and teeth.
No matter how old samples may be, re-energize you cold casework with new genetic information. All protocols developed at the Paleo-DNA Laboratory have been extensively used on modern, ancient, and degraded DNA samples, thereby demonstrating their reliability and versatility. All sample testing is performed in-house at the Paleo-DNA Laboratory. We DO NOT OUTSOURCE any portion of the analysis.
We specialize in difficult and Low Copy Number DNA (LCN DNA) samples:
- Skeletal (bone, teeth)
- Hair (shaft or root)
- Limited source DNA samples (ie: chewing gum, cigarettes)
We have no minimum requirement for our low copy number DNA analysis. We can obtain full or partial profiles.
A Sample Submission Form can be downloaded by clicking here.
WE DO Y-CHROMOSOME ANALYSIS
- Y-chromosome analysis is an excellent tool for exclusionary purposes.
- Y-chromosome analysis adds strength to a case for inclusions or matches.
- Multiple male sources can be detected in mixed samples.
- A Y-chromosome profile can be obtained from a male-female mixture.
- The presence of a male individual can be detected.
- Male remains can be compared to a living paternal relative for identification.
Our analysis offers the identification of 17 different loci on the Y-chromosome. For low copy number samples we can obtain full or partial profiles.
All sample testing is done in-house at the Paleo-DNA Laboratory. We DO NOT OUTSOURCE any portion of the analysis.
Fast Forensic DNA Identification
When a crime is committed, DNA evidence is collected and sent to national crime labs for analysis and results are obtained anywhere from 6 weeks to three months or longer. The Paleo-DNA Laboratory can reduce the waiting time for results with a three day turn-around time on DNA Fingerprinting. Let us analyze your samples for a 'match' or 'exclusion'. This service helps law enforcement officials save time and money on their investigations.
- 2-3 day turnaround: extraction of DNA, quantification of DNA, and STR analysis
- Types of samples we can analyze: buccal swabs, blood stains, cigarette butts, paper cups, chewing gum, pulled hair with root attached, anything that may contain biological material.
Allow us to give you quick results on your 'castoff' samples. (castoff is something a person of interest throws away but may contain their DNA.
- Volume discounts are available, please inquire toll free 1-866-362-5227.
The Paleo-DNA Laboratory cannot guarantee results as each sample will have different amounts of DNA present. Some samples may not have enough DNA to get a profile. Unfortunately, this is a reality.
Our Laboratory Offers:
- Professional accredited forensic analysis
- mtDNA and nuclear DNA analysis
- Highly degraded and difficult biological sample (LCN DNA)
- Expert testimony and opinions
We provide Standards Council of Canada CAN-P-4D and CAN-P-1578 forensic biology/DNA human identification services for mitochondrial DNA, STR, and Y-STR samples in our ISO 17025 accredited laboratory.
Our experienced scientists use the latest technology and forensic-endorsed
equipment. We do not automate any portion of our analytical methods.
We are recognized as a world leader in human identification using
DNA testing on highly degraded samples.
Physicians, lawyers, police forces, and government organizations
such as the United Nations, the Canadian Armed Forces, and the Royal
Canadian Mounted Police have used our forensic services.
Large Capacity for Case Backlogs
We have the capacity to handle an extremely large number of samples
to eliminate cold case backlogs as well as process large or small projects.
The processing time for each case is generally 4 weeks after receipt
of all samples. Additionally we offer rush service for an extra fee.